a blog of kitchen experiences, experiments and moments i have in my kitchen ....in my everyday life, the kitchen is where i spend most of my time and I'd like to share these moments with you..who knows we might learn a thing or two from each other. :-)

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ADOBO WEEK

Adobo

Adobo? Who in the Phillipines don’t know what adobo is???

I have a confession to make….. although I know how to cook , bake and create a variety of dishes mostly influence by the foreign cuisine, my weakness is cooking my own Filipino Food. Yes im guilty but more embarrassed of the fact that I don’t even know how to cook our very own specialties.

So this week I want to start with making adobo.
3 kinds of adobo, in which I have learn to like and crave for at times, for different reasons and of course each one has its own story to tell.

A little history of adobo before I begin
Adobo is a dish usually prepared with pork or chicken and served with rice. In the Philippines adobo varies from nation to nation. There’s manila style adobo, cebu style adobo, ilo-ilo adobo and even varies from family to family. In Spanish ADOBO means sauce or seasoning or marinade used in Latin American and southwest U.S. style cooking. It is also a style of cooking used in Filipino cuisine. They all have the same name but come from different cultural roots. in Filipino cuisine, adobo refers to a common cooking process that is native to the Philippines. In the late 1500s when the Spanish took administration over the Philippines through Mexico City, they found a native style of cooking process that involved stewing the food in vinegar. The method was described and referred as “adobo”. Dishes prepared in this manner came to be known by this name as well.


Adobo #1 “the kinapusan ADOBO”
This version is inspired by my sister in-law, whom she learned from her sister from manila. She said this is how they cooked it in manila or somewhere in manila (correct me if I'm wrong please). Nevertheless it has been something my husband keeps on asking me to make and follow. It has this taste like we Cebuanos are familiar with the “kinapusan” in English it literally means deflate . To deflate the FAT….yummy!! cook until the fat is deflated. So can you picture how this dish will turn out??? Here it is.


Ingredients:
1k pork liempo / belly – cut into cubes
1tbsp peppercorn
1C vinegar
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ c water
3-4 bay leaves
3 heads garlic chopped

  • In a pan, put the meat and the rest of the ingredients together except one head of garlic and cover. Bring to boil.
  • Turn down the fire then continue to cook for an hour till the meat is tender. If the water evaporates before the hour is up, add some vinegar.
  • After an hour, check and take the scum away , turn up the fire and let the pork cook until most of the liquid evaporates. Stir the meat from time to time to prevent it from sticking to the pan. (beware of the oil splashes, which I so so so hated when I was doing this, it practically splashed into the corner of my eye uuurgh! )
  • Use the cover of the pan as a shield if ever the fats begin to pop and splash in your face.
  • Continue to cook until the meat is frying in its own fat, yummo!!
  • When the meat is all golden and the pork fat is 3 times smaller than it used to be then you are ready to serve up your sticky and yummy adobo with rice…..
  • Oh after scooping your meat to a dish, fry the remaining garlic till golden and sprinkle it over the adobo!!! Yum yum yummo!!!! Enjoy….i know my husband did!!!

Day one down for the week long adobo marathon!!
Next stop YAYAS adobo!!

3 comments:

  1. Sar, the tagalog or ilocano version of adobo is the dry one. OUrs, I think are the ones with sauce..and the ilonggo..well, i'll wait for that in your blog. By the way, there's another way na before it totally dries up, they put it in the oven instead of frying aron walay pisik... i used to like fried garlic until i learned that it looses it's vitamin content when it's totally brown thus becomes bittery..so when I fry it, i don't TOTALLY make it burnt...but then that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sar, the ilokano version of adobo is dry--kinapusan style like above. Others, instead of frying it, they place it in the oven aron dili ma piksan sa oil....Ours is the one with sauce still..the ilonggo, i will wait for your next blog.... By the way, I used to like fried crispy garlic until I realize that it looses its nutritional value when it gets bitter..so, it's batter to pick up fried garlic before it turns totally golden brown...Oh and the stateside adobo--we use Balsamic Vinegar--oh say mo?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah great insight! i also do the same with my garlic when its yellowish i take it out of the pan so it doesn't totally burn. and you are right with the cebuano way of adobo it's saucy!
    i have yet to try the US style with balsamic sounds interesting. thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete